Wednesday, March 02, 2011

needs to be said.


One thing I've noticed since starting photography is a lot of other people start photography. It seems like being a photographer is the new black sometimes. but I say the more the merrier! With Facebook and Twitter taking over most of our lives I don't think there will be a shortage of folks needing good photos to post as their "profile picture." :)

But some others don't agree with me. In fact some people, mostly women I've found, will go so far as having a blog dedicated to posting images, from what they consider to be wanna be photogs, and make fun of them. Don't get me wrong, it can be funny. Some people really have no idea what they're doing. But someone liked it, someone hired them, and honestly they are the only ones who have a right to say anything about it.

We all started somewhere. I know when I look back at the photos I edited when I first started learning Photoshop I'm completely embarrassed! But you live and learn. I was lucky enough to have an internship working with some great people when I first started out. and luckily they were nice enough to come to me privately and give me advice. "Hey, selective coloring is not as cool as you think."  :)  

I honestly thought those photos were great at one day in time. I was putting my heart and soul into what I was shooting with my little Canon Rebel and kit lens. I learned the "what not to do's" pretty quickly working with someone who had already been in the business for a few years. Who knows, I might still be shooting with the on camera flash had I not worked with Ryan that summer. Even with his gentle criticism I still left with hurt feelings a little. but I understood he was only telling me these things about my photos to help me be a better photographer. I can't even begin to imagine what it would have felt like if someone had taken one of those photos and posted them on a blog making fun of my inexperience. I might have walked away from the camera for good. I can't imagine how much that would hurt. I get down if I don't get "good" comments about what I post, much less if I was made into a joke. A joke that all the other photographers pass around and jump in and make fun of too. 

I say this is a complete waste of time and energy, and any energy you spend trying to tear people down will only turn on you in the end. You get what you give, so you better give good. There are enough clients to go around. So who cares if that girl you know just bought a camera yesterday and is going around calling herself a professional photographer? Don't you think clients will see through that? and let's go even one better, what if you were confident enough in your work that you could go welcome her and help her, teach her some things? When you say something unkind about someone else you are only making yourself look insecure. I know a lot of people who consider themselves to be "good people" yet they constantly talk about what everyone else is doing wrong. And for the hundredth time these new photographers who don't charge much aren't hurting anyone but themselves, so don't worry about what they are getting paid. I am so tired of hearing people talk about that. Everyone is working for themselves and they have to pay their own bills at the end of the month so they can charge whatever they want!!! 

I wish we could all just come together and build each other up. I wish it wasn't a competition. I wish it was just about making art. There are no rules in art. If it makes one person happy it's worth it. Quit giving out your opinion when it's not asked for, and when it is just try to be kind. You can give advice without being mean. and who knows, you just might feel a little better about yourself.

Carrie

3 comments:

  1. Good for you! love this post :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I whole heartedly agree with you. And I know which website you're talking about too. It is a shame.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw this website today...I hope there is only one. I completely agree with you that we get what we give. Everyone has to start somewhere and I am completely blessed and thankful for the people who have been on my path to where I stand today. We all make mistakes and we all learn from them. I would not want to be either of those girls when Karma comes after them!

    ReplyDelete